1. To enter the draw to win one of five copies of George Dawes Green’s novel Ravens (see review here), send an email with the subject “Book” to the address shown on the upper right corner of this blog. The draw will close Saturday August 8 at noon. I will contact the winners to get (Canadian or American) postal addresses.
2. Preet outlines the risks of securities lending as practised by many index ETFs, and Patrick speculates on how this could become a bubble. It’s not clear to me how securities lending is most likely to cost investors a significant amount of money, but the fact that it appears to be free money makes me very suspicious.
3. Canadian Capitalist weighs in on the retroactive TFSA contribution room proposal by actuary Malcolm Hamilton.
4. Ellen Roseman finds that the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) isn’t very effective at protecting minority shareholder rights.
5. Kathryn thinks that keeping your financial goals front and center may help keep you motivated in day-to-day spending.
6. Big Cajun Man learns a few lessons while cleaning out his basement.