Happy New Year! Despite the reduced number of articles written over the holidays, I still found a few interesting things to read.
1. Larry MacDonald wrote a piece for the Globe and Mail with financial tips for people in their 30s and 40s climbing their financial ladder.
2. Many people advocate a “core and explore” approach to investing. This amounts to setting a solid core of investments plus a smaller amount of “play” money. When the advice comes from a financial advisor, it amounts to a core of index investments plus some explore money for active management. Larry Swedroe explains the evidence supporting this approach and then demolishes it in part 1 and part 2 of his article.
3. Preet went looking for Olympic hockey tickets to the men’s gold medal game. The price is unbelievable!
4. Canadian Capitalist takes a nice calm look back at 2009.
5. Million Dollar Journey analyzes the finances of an IT contractor with the happy problem of deciding what to do with an unexpected $23,500.
6. Big Cajun Man put together a carnival of money stories with a boxing theme.