Last week I ordered my credit reports from Equifax and TransUnion. The Equifax report has arrived and it contains less than I would have guessed. In addition it has a few errors.
The first thing after my name is wrong. It shows me living at a family member’s house. Based on the reporting date this seems to be incorrect information from when I opened a joint account with this family member. The bank managed to send me statements at the correct address, but somehow the information they sent to Equifax was messed up. My previous addresses are accurate, but the dates associated with them show no correlation with reality.
The next category of information is current and previous employers. This information is fairly accurate except for the barely recognizable phonetic spelling of a previous employer’s name.
Then it shows my birth date (with the month omitted for security) and Social Insurance Number (with the middle three digits omitted for security). Based on the reporting date, they didn’t know this information until I asked for the credit report. I wouldn’t have included this information on my request had I known they didn’t already have it.
The next section is credit inquiries showing dates, requester’s name, and requester’s telephone number. The final section is a list of credit accounts including credit cards and lines of credit. In each case I’m given a rating of R1 or C1 (depending on the account type) which mean “paid as agreed and up to date”. For each account the report lists how many times the account has been past due 2, 3, or 4 payment periods. Apparently, making a mistake and being late for one payment did me no harm.
The report comes with a form to correct mistakes. I’ve sent in the request to get my current address fixed. It will be interesting to see whether they actually fix it. The main thing is that there is no evidence of identity theft.